GrowHouse NYC Artist Residency Application 2018
The GrowHouse NYC Artist Residency seeks to retain creators of color in rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods. We aim to provide access to space, technology, and travel for outstanding creatives of color.
Each year GrowHouse invites one to five artists of color who are interested in exploring the intersection of art, technology, and activism through interactive experiences in their local neighborhoods.
As public artists in residence, they are expected to:
· Develop artwork/experiences that are multimedia in approach
· Curate quarterly works-in-progress events
· Be profiled for GrowHouse media (including but not limited to podcasts, websites, and television)
Brooklyn, New York: United States
GrowHouse residents are able to participate in quarterly discussions and workshops designed to help artists deepen their approach to having a socially-engaged creative practice.
The benefits of participation include:
- access to information and resources;
- opportunity to form a peer network with artists;
- opportunity to travel in conjunction with GrowHouse NYC's international partnerships;
- a peer learning process for work-shopping ideas.
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 1-5
- Application type: Open application
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists over 21 years old
Facilities & Services
- Meals: No meals/food provided
- Accessibility: no
Long-term residents pay below market value rent for residency terms varying from 1 month to 1 year. (Market rate is minimally considered to be $2000 for a one bedroom, and $2700 for a three bedroom.)
Subsidized space is the major support given to artists. Free gallery space to organize exhibitions is also provided. GrowHouse also provides production support for quarterly events.
GrowHouse also shares proceeds from any events with the residents who co-curate the events.